St Mary’s, Sioux Lookout: New incumbent inducted

St. Mary's, Sioux LookoutThe Rev Mark Loyal was inducted as the incumbent of St Mary’s, Sioux Lookout on Nov 24. Mark was ordained in the Diocese of Huron and has served in the dioceses of Huron, Calgary, and Keewatin – most recently in the combined Anglican/United Church congregation in Red Lake, ON.

One of Mark’s parents was aboriginal and the other was a settler. Mark’s personal life and his experiences in ministry will serve him well at St Mary’s which is located in a bi-cultural community.

One of Mark’s parents was aboriginal and the other was a settler. Mark’s personal life and his experiences in ministry will serve him well at St Mary’s which is located in a bi-cultural community.

Sioux Lookout and St Mary’s Anglican Church are the cusp where North meets South in Keewatin Diocese. The North is primarily First Nations territory, whereas the South is mostly non-native. While there are two distinct societies living in Sioux Lookout, there is also a blend of the two cultures.

St Mary’s congregation is a mixture of native and non-native peoples. The two deacons working at the church are both Ojicree, and fluent in both English and Ojicree, and both languages are used in our services. Many of our northern communities have a strong Anglican presence because of missionary work done in the area, and the people coming down from the north often join us in worship.

St Mary’s mission is to enhance our multicultural nature and to work towards healing and reconciliation within the First Nations people affected directly and indirectly by the residential school heritage.

St Mary’s mission is to enhance our multicultural nature and to work towards healing and reconciliation within the First Nations people affected directly and indirectly by the residential school heritage.

Construction of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway through this country in 1909 produced a townsite which was first named Graham by Sir Wilfred Laurier to honour his then Minister of Railroads. In this same year, St Mary’s Anglican Church was established in the community to serve the needs of the incoming families.

On Jan 1, 1912 the municipality was incorporated by order of the Ontario Municipal Board as the Town of Sioux Lookout – so named after a high point of land used by the Ojibway as a lookout area for enemies and travellers in the area.

By Jim Dugan